The Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) is installing a new state-of-the-art system, Georgia DRIVES, to upgrade and modernize the vehicle registration and titling system. The new Georgia DRIVES system will enable more self-service options, improve customer service, and enhance data integrity. In preparation for the statewide system upgrade, DeKalb County Motor Vehicle services will be offline and unavailable for a brief period. All auto tags that are due to be renewed in May should be renewed ahead of time.
Beginning Thursday, May 23, vehicle services will be closed in preparation for the system upgrade. Implementation of the new system will require the vehicle registrations and titling services to be unavailable May 23rd – May 28th. Customers are encouraged to complete all vehicle registrations and titling in advance of expiration dates and prior to the system upgrade timing.
What to Expect: May 23rd – May 28th:
- All 3 Tag Offices will not be able to process transactions.
- All online Motor Vehicle related services including, online tag renewal services, will be offline.
- Motor Vehicle Self Service Kiosks will be offline and inoperable.
- Motor Vehicle Division will only be able to process Trip Permit transactions at the DOR Southmeadow facility. All other transactions including International Fuel Tax Agreements (IFTA) and International Registration Plans (IRP) will be unavailable.
How will this impact Georgia customers and drivers?
- All Georgia residents who need to renew their vehicle registration in May and June are asked to please renew early, prior to Tuesday, May 20th.
- Customers and dealers seeking to conduct any title transactions should complete their business at a county tag office prior to Thursday, May 23rd.
- Customers can still purchase vehicles and dealers will still be able to issue temporary operating permits (TOPs).
- Law enforcement will still have access to motor vehicle records through a statewide backup file.
- The Department of Driver Services will not be affected.
The Property Tax and Delinquent Tax offices will be open during this time. Please visit their website here for additional information on upcoming changes. For additional information about the Georgia Drives System go here.